Student visa

In order to study in Australia you are required to apply for the Student Visa. Immigration requires students to be enrolled before granting Student Visa status and only institutions providing courses registered with CRICOS will be recognised.

Employment The Student Visa entitles students to work. However, there are some restrictions:

  • Students may work up to 20 hours per week
    (while studying).**
  • Students may work unlimited hours during scheduled breaks and holidays. This does not include work undertaken as a registered component of the course. For example: Work experience related to you chosen subject.
    • Family members of students are allowed to work once the student had begun their course. They are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week at all times.
    • Family members of students who have started a masters or doctorate course may work
      unlimited hours.

Students are usually employed on casual basis – although some even start their own companies. For many, it is an entry into their industry and later allows them to get more stable work once they become Permanent Residents.

The money earned allows students to carry everyday costs and save money – perhaps for further education, or even travelling around Australia.

Students are required to pay taxes. For students with visas for more than 6 months the taxes may be lower.

Paid programmes Australia Alive are expert at combining studies and work – with a focus on students who plan to further develop their knowledge and gain an experience within an industry.

Our programmes also enable overseas students to develop their language skills and focus on a practical use of English within their chosen industry.

Programmes can be individually designed to meet your particular requirements – with hospitality being the most popular- and run for either six, nine, 12 or 24 months.

** If 20 hours are exceeded during at least one week of the course, visa may be cancelled.